The Connecticut Department of Social Services will be evaluating Medicaid clients for eligibility starting March 2023
Before the pandemic, HUSKY Health (Connecticut’s Medicaid Program) clients had to meet eligibility requirements in order to keep their healthcare coverage. During the pandemic the termination process was paused, which means many Medicaid customers were able to keep their insurance even if they no longer qualified based on their income. Starting in March 2023, HUSKY A, B and D clients will be reviewed for eligibility on a monthly basis. But don’t worry, if you’re a HUSKY Health client who needs to take any action, you will be informed about how to complete your renewal and stay covered. That could mean staying on HUSKY Health if you continue to qualify, or it could mean choosing a new, no- or low-cost health coverage option, such as the Covered Connecticut Program or a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) from Access Health CT (AHCT).
Here is what you need to know:
1. Not everyone will be reviewed for eligibility all at once.
- The process of reviewing customer eligibility is called “redetermination.” And it will take place over 12 months. You will receive a letter in the mail when you are being evaluated for eligibility. You should wait until you receive your notice to process your renewal.
2. You can do something to help right now by updating your household information.
- To make sure you get your letters in the mail, and more importantly to avoid a surprise bill at the doctor’s office, pharmacy or anywhere you receive healthcare, it is important to take action now. Make sure your contact information is up to date. This includes making any updates to your household size and income to the Department of Social Services (DSS) or AHCT. Here is how you can update your household information:
- Sign in at AccessHealthCT.com
- Contact Information
- Select Edit My Settings, then Update Contact Information to add or change an email address, mailing address or phone number. You can opt in to receive Paperless notifications or text alerts.
- Household Information
- Select Report Income or Household Changes to report a change in your home address, annual income or tax filing status.
HUSKY C members:
- Visit gov/UpdateUsDSS and click Update Your Info under HUSKY C, MSP, or Limited HUSKY to get started
NOTE: HUSKY A, B and D members can also follow the link above to update their information. When you click Update Your Info under HUSKY A, HUSKY B, HUSKY D, you will be directed to the AHCT website where you can sign in and update your account.
3. Here are some helpful descriptions if you don’t know which HUSKY Health program you belong to:
- HUSKY A is for parents, caretakers and pregnant women who meet certain income eligibility requirements.
- HUSKY B is for children and their parents/caretakers who meet certain income eligibility requirements.
- HUSKY C is for adults 65 or older, adults who have a disability and who meet a certain income eligibility requirement.
- HUSKY D is for adults without dependent children who meet certain income and other eligibility requirements.
4. You can expect a notice from DSS about your renewal 45 days before your coverage is due to end.
- These letters are being sent out to Medicaid clients on a monthly basis, starting March 2023 and ending March 2024. When you receive this letter in the mail, you should complete your renewal as soon as possible and provide any documents requested to stay covered. When you update or confirm your application at this time, you will get a final determination – or answer about whether you continue to qualify for HUSKY Health or not – on the final screen of the online application. You will also be notified by mail in 1-3 business days and in your online account inbox.
5. The fastest way to renew for HUSKY Health is online.
- HUSKY Health A, B and D clients can visit AccessHealthCT.com to update their household information and application. Or they can call AHCT at 1-855-805-4325. If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or contact AHCT with a relay operator.
- HUSKY Health C clients can visit ct.gov/UpdateUsDSS to update their household information or application. Or they can call 1-855-626-6632.
- Paper applications can also be requested by contacting DSS at 1-855-626-6632.
6. If you no longer qualify for HUSKY Health, you have other options.
- You can shop, compare and enroll in health and dental insurance through AHCT. Most people who enroll through AHCT get some type of financial help, no- or low-cost insurance coverage, including the Covered Connecticut Program. Or, if you have an employer-sponsored health insurance program, you may be able to get insurance through your job.