Better, Less Expensive Choices for You and Your Family
When you lose your job, health insurance might be the last thing on your mind. Access Health CT wants to make sure you and your family are and continue to be covered. Did you know that if you lose your health insurance coverage as a result of job loss, you could qualify for a plan through Access Health CT?
About Access Health CT
Access Health CT (AHCT) is the official health insurance marketplace where you can shop, compare and enroll in quality health insurance plans. And, it is the only place where you can qualify for financial help to lower your costs, or be eligible for free or low-cost coverage through the Covered CT Program OR through HUSKY Health (Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program also known as “CHIP”).
Is Access Health CT an insurance company?
No. Access Health CT is the official health insurance marketplace for Connecticut. We connect you to brand-name insurance companies and potential financial assistance, and we also partner with the Department of Social Services to offer coverage through the HUSKY Health Program.
Options After Losing Health Insurance Due to Job Loss
Special Enrollment Period & Qualifying Life Events
A change in your life — like losing health coverage through your job, getting married, having a baby or moving to Connecticut— can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing you to enroll in health insurance coverage outside the annual Open Enrollment Period. Let’s Cover the Basics:
- A Special Enrollment Period is a special window of time outside the Annual Open Enrollment Period when you can enroll in health insurance coverage through Access Health CT. To qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you must prove that you have a Qualifying Life Event.
- A Qualifying Life Event is a change in your life; for example, losing coverage due to job change/loss, aging off your parents’ plan, moving to Connecticut, getting married, having/adopting a child, etc.
- You can enroll any time of year if you are eligible for Medicaid/the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or are an American Indian or Alaska Native.
When should I take action?
Don’t wait to see if you qualify to enroll through Access Health CT! If you wait until your current coverage ends, you may not be able to get a new plan until the following month. If you experience a Qualifying Life Event (again, like losing your health insurance due to job loss) and want to make sure you don’t have a gap in coverage, you may need to contact Access Health CT before your coverage ends.
- *For Those Losing Job-Based Coverage*
To avoid a gap in coverage, you should enroll through Access Health CT before your current coverage ends. The end date of your current coverage may impact the start date of your new coverage, and we don’t want you or your family to go a month without health coverage. Plan ahead to make sure you are covered! When losing job-based health coverage, you can contact us up to 60 days before your coverage ends to enroll in a new plan. Have your information ready before you contact us – and check the end date of your employer-sponsored coverage.
- General Deadlines to Contact Us & Enroll
- Before You Apply: You have up to 60 days from the date of your Qualifying Life Event to apply for health insurance coverage through Access Health CT.
- Before Coverage Can Begin: You must provide proof of your Qualifying Life Event, and you will have up to 30 days to submit those documents. You must verify your information before your coverage can begin. Click here for a full list of Qualifying Life events and acceptable documents.
- Other Information, If We Ask: You have up to 90 days from the date you apply to provide proof of other information like your household income or immigration status (if we ask you for that information). Always respond to requests for verification documents – or else it could impact your coverage or your financial help.
What About COBRA Coverage?
COBRA is short for the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act and is a federal law that may allow you to temporarily keep your health coverage through your former employer after a qualifying event, such as job loss.
If you are being offered COBRA coverage, Access Health CT may offer a better, less expensive choice for you and your family. We recommend you check your options with Access Health before choosing COBRA for these reasons:
- Access Health CT is the only place you can qualify for financial help to pay for health insurance; or be eligible for low-cost or free coverage.
- With COBRA coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payment (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, plus a small administrative fee.
- If you decide you want to end your COBRA coverage early, you are only eligible to enroll during the Annual Open Enrollment Period – unless you have a Qualifying Life Event.
Remember – Financial Help is Only Available through Access Health CT
Most of our customers get some type of financial help or are eligible for free or low-cost coverage. By including your income and household information when you apply for healthcare coverage, you can see if you are eligible. You might qualify depending on your household size, income and where you live.
Where do I Start?
Connecting with Us & Choosing the Right Plan
Access Health CT makes it easy for you to compare plan options and consider the costs associated with visiting your doctors, taking prescription drugs, and how often you use medical services.
When choosing a plan, think about costs beyond your monthly payment (premium). Pay attention to your yearly deductible, co-payments, or co-insurance costs. You should also check the Provider Directory and Prescription Drug Formulary of the insurance company of your choice to make sure your preferred doctors and prescriptions are included. Lists of in-network providers are available through the insurance company’s website and will also tell you whether the provider is accepting new patients. You will also see a link to search for doctors while you shop and compare plans at AccessHealthCT.com.
The bottom line: plans with the lowest monthly premium are not always the cheapest option for you and your family.
Ok, I’m ready to Shop>Compare>Enroll
At Access Health CT you can shop for plans that each cover a set of 10 essential health benefits, including some services offered at no cost like annual checkups, vaccines, prescription drugs, mental health and substance abuse treatment, among others.
Comparing Plan Options –As easy as 1-2-3
- Visit AccessHealthCT.com and click on “Compare Plans”
- Answer the questions on the screens
- Based on your answers, you will see different plan options and your potential total costs to consider for doctors, prescription drugs and how often you use medical services.
Please note that if you qualify for Medicaid/CHIP, or if you are an American Indian or Alaska Native, you can enroll any time of year—regardless of having a Qualifying Live Event.
Did We Tell You That All Help Is Free?
Yes! Whether you have questions about your eligibility, losing your insurance, COBRA coverage, or want to see if you qualify for financial help. Our team is ready and available to help!
- Visit our website at AccessHealthCT.com
- Live chat: AccessHealthCT.com click “Live Chat” icon
- Phone: 1-855-805-4325; customers who are deaf or hearing impaired may use TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or call with a relay operator (we speak over 100 languages)
- Get help from Certified Brokers or Enrollment Specialists here