Access Health CT is Connecticut’s official health insurance marketplace where Connecticut residents can shop, compare and enroll in quality health insurance coverage. It’s also the only place where you can qualify for financial help to lower your health insurance costs, and if eligible, enroll in free or low-cost coverage through the Covered Connecticut Program or HUSKY Health (Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)).
Do you need health insurance coverage? Here are the top five things you need to know.
1. What is Open Enrollment?
Open Enrollment is the time period when you can enroll in health insurance for the following year. If you miss this chance to sign up for health insurance, you may have to wait until next year to shop again. There are some exceptions – you may be able to enroll outside of the Open Enrollment Period if you have a Qualifying Life Event (such as getting married, having a baby or losing other health coverage), or if you qualify for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
2. When can you enroll in health insurance for 2022?
Open Enrollment for the 2022 plan year starts November 1, 2021 and ends January 15, 2022. The deadline is different this year, and if you want to start the year with coverage it’s important to know when you should take action. When you complete your application determines when your coverage will start:
- For coverage starting January 1, 2022, you must complete your application by midnight on December 31, 2021.*
- For coverage starting February 1, 2022, you must complete your application between December 16, 2021 and January 15, 2022.
- Open Enrollment ends at midnight on January 15, 2022
Connecticut residents who are eligible for the new Covered Connecticut Program must enroll before the end of the Open Enrollment Period on January 15, 2022. To learn more about the Covered Connecticut Program, including eligibility requirements, see here.
*Important Note: Insurance companies will need approximately two weeks after customers enroll to send out ID cards. If customers do not have their new ID card by January 1, 2022 but need to use their plan benefits, they can contact their insurance company for a temporary ID card.
3. How do you enroll?
You can shop, compare and enroll with access to free expert help:
- On the phone at 1-855-805-4325; customers who are deaf or hearing impaired may use TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or call with a relay operator
- In-person at Enrollment Locations and Events
Tip: Online Account Makes Enrollment and Renewal Easier
If you are a new customer, we suggest that you create an account before you contact us to start your application. If you are a returning customer who needs to renew your coverage, you can sign in to your account to report changes, review your plan options for 2022, and make changes to your plan selection.
Here is what you’ll need to complete your application:
- Dates of birth
- Social Security numbers
- Visa, green card or immigration documents
- Most recent W2 and/or Form 1040 or Form 1099
- Current insurance coverage
- Paystubs, Profit & Loss statements, or other employment information to confirm income for everyone in your tax household.
4. How can you find out if you qualify for financial help?
New federal and state programs, including the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) and Covered Connecticut Program, have changed the way we calculate financial help for customers. Even people who were not eligible in the past may qualify for new financial help. You can learn more about the different types of financial help available here, including:
- Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTCs) that lower your monthly payment (or premium).
- Cost-Sharing Reductions (CSRs) that lower the amount you pay out-of-pocket when you use your plan. This includes deductibles, coinsurance and copayments when you get medical services.
- The new Covered Connecticut Program for certain Connecticut residents who are parents or caregivers and meet specific eligibility requirements (read more).
- And HUSKY Health Programs, including Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), that offer free or low-cost health insurance coverage if your household meets certain income requirements
Financial help is based on your application details, including your income, age and address. You can use our Compare Plans tool here to get an estimate of how much financial help you may qualify for and compare health insurance plans.
5. Where can you get free help to enroll?
There are many ways for Connecticut residents to get free help with their application. You can get general help from Enrollment Specialists and Certified Application Counselors (CACs), or a plan recommendation from a Certified Broker. Here are options for finding the help you need:
- Enrollment Locations and Events offer in-person help from Enrollment Specialists and Certified Brokers ready to help you complete your application.
- Live Chat is available online at AccessHealthCT.com – use the “live chat” feature to chat with an Enrollment Specialist.
- Call us at 1-855-805-4325 for help with your general questions, application, or to speak with a Certified Broker; customers who are deaf or hearing impaired may use TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or call with a relay operator. For updated Call Center & Live Chat hours, click here.
- Search for a Certified Broker or Certified Application Counselor (CAC) near you to provide one-on-one help with your application.