Better, Less Expensive Choices for You and Your Family
As the unemployment rate in Connecticut continues to rise, Access Health CT wants to make sure you and your family are and continue to be covered. As part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARP), individual taxpayers who receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits at any time in 2021, will be automatically considered to have an annual income at 133% of the Federal Poverty Level ($12,880) and will be eligible for a nearly $0 premium benchmark silver plan with comprehensive cost sharing subsidies this year. To get started, sign in and report a change to your application or create an account.
About Access Health CT
Access Health CT (AHCT) is the official health insurance marketplace where you can shop, compare and enroll in quality healthcare plans. And, it is the only place where you can qualify for financial help to lower your costs or be eligible for free, or low-cost coverage through HUSKY Health (Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program also known as “CHIP”).
Wait, is Access Health CT an insurance company?
No. Access Health CT connects you to brand-name insurance companies like Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield and ConnectiCare, and partners with the Department of Social Services to offer coverage through HUSKY Health.
Let’s Chat About Losing Health Insurance Due to Job Loss
Special Enrollment Period & Qualifying Life Event
You may qualify for coverage through Access Health CT at any time, if you have a Qualifying Life Event through a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). Let’s Cover the Basic Terms:
- A Special Enrollment Period is a time outside of the Annual Open Enrollment Period (Nov. 1 – Dec. 15) when you may be eligible to sign up for health insurance coverage through Access Health CT.
- A Qualifying Life Event is a change in your life; for example, losing coverage due to job change/loss, aging off your parents’ plan, moving to Connecticut, getting married, having/adopting a child, etc.,
You could also qualify for coverage year-round, if you are eligible for Medicaid/the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or are an American Indian or Alaska Native.
Tick-Tock…Do I need to take action at any point?
The magic number is 60!
If you experience a Qualifying Life Event (again, like losing your health insurance due to job loss) you need to:
- Complete your application with Access Health CT within 60 days of your Qualifying Life Event.
- If asked, verify your Qualifying Life Event before your coverage can begin.
I heard something about COBRA coverage.
What is That About?
COBRA is short for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, and is a federal law that may allow you to temporarily keep your health coverage after a qualifying event, such as job loss.
Ok that sounds good, right?
If you choose COBRA continuation coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payments (known as premiums), including the part that your employer used to pay, and a small administrative fee.
So… What Are my Options?
Let’s Talk Better, Less Expensive Options
If you are being offered COBRA coverage, Access Health CT may offer a better, less expensive choice for you and your family. We recommend you check your options with Access Health before choosing COBRA for these reasons:
- Access Health CT is the only place you can qualify for financial help to pay for health insurance; or be eligible for low-cost or free coverage.
- With COBRA coverage, you may have to pay 100% of the monthly payment (premium), including the share the employer used to pay, plus a small administrative fee.
- If you decide you want to end your COBRA coverage early, you are only eligible to enroll during the Annual Open Enrollment Period – unless you have a Qualifying Life Event.
You got me at Financial Help, Low-Cost & Free Coverage!
Tell Me More.
Did you know that over 90% of our customers get some type of financial help, or are eligible for free or low-cost coverage? By including your income and household information when you apply for healthcare coverage, you can see if you are eligible. You might qualify depending on your household size, income and where you live.
Where do I Start?
Connecting with Us & Choosing the Right Plan
Access Health CT makes it easy for you to compare plan options and consider the costs associated with visiting your doctors, taking prescription drugs, and how often you use medical services.
When choosing a plan, think about costs beyond your monthly payment (premium). Pay attention to your yearly deductible, co-payments, or co-insurance costs. Plans with the lowest monthly premium are not always the cheapest option for you and your family.
Ok, I’m ready to Shop.Compare.Enroll
At Access Health CT you can shop for plans that each cover a set of 10 essential health benefits, including some services offered at no cost like annual checkups, vaccines, prescription drugs, mental health and substance abuse treatment, among others.
Comparing Plan Options –As easy as 1-2-3
- Visit AccessHealthCT.com and click on “Compare Plans”
- Answer the questions on the screens
- Based on your answers, you will see different plan options and your potential total costs to consider for doctors, prescription drugs and how often you use medical services.
Please note that if you qualify for Medicaid/CHIP, or if you are an American Indian or Alaska Native, you can enroll any time of year—regardless of having a Qualifying Live Event.
Did We Tell You That All Help Is Free?
Yes! Whether you have questions about your eligibility, losing your insurance, COBRA coverage, or if you qualify for financial help. Our team is ready and available to help!
- Visit our website at AccessHealthCT.com
- Live chat: AccessHealthCT.com click “Live Chat” icon
- Phone: 1-855-805-4325 or TTY 1-855-789-2428 (we speak over 100 languages)
- Get help from Certified Brokers or Enrollment Specialists here