Find information on how your immigration status affects your eligibility for enrolling in a health insurance plan in Connecticut.
Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)
Refugee or asylee
- Are a Cuban/Haitian entrant.
- Have been paroled into the U.S. or granted temporary protected status.
- Are a child who has applied for a special immigrant juvenile status.
- Have a deportation or removal temporarily withheld for humanitarian reasons.
Survivor of domestic violence, trafficking, and other serious crimes
- Are a victim of domestic violence who qualifies for protection (abused spouses and children, and the children or parents of these individuals) and parents of abusive adult children who are U.S. citizens.
- Are an immigrant survivor of human trafficking.
- Are a U-Visa or T-Visa holder.
- Are a Visa holder who is allowed to and intends to remain in Connecticut from the date enrolled through the remainder of the tax year (such as tourists, students and visitors on business).
- Are a citizen of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands or Palau.
- Note: Individuals with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status are valid non-immigrants, but are not eligible for coverage through Access Health CT (See below for more detail).
- Are a non-citizen who gained legal status.
- Qualify for Family Unity Program status, protecting you from deportation or removal.
- Are an applicant for adjustment under the Legal Immigration and Family Equity (LIFE) Act who has employment authorization.
- Are an applicant for cancellation of removal and suspension of deportation who has employment authorization.
- Are under an order of supervision and have employment authorization.
- Are an applicant for registry who has employment authorization.
Who is eligible?
All members of your taxable household (with legal status or not) should be included on your enrollment application. However, only those with a legal status are eligible to receive health coverage through Access Health CT.
What if I have DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) status?
Individuals with DACA status do not qualify to enroll in health coverage through Access Health CT, including Medicaid, or receive tax credits to help pay for coverage. Other options if you have DACA status:
- Emergency treatment under the emergency Medicaid program, which can only be obtained by calling the DSS Benefit Center at 1-855-626-6632.
- Individuals with DACA status can buy full cost health insurance outside of Access Health CT or through their employer.
Who is eligible to apply for HUSKY Health (Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Program)?
Most individuals who fall into one of the above categories will also need to meet a five-year residency requirement. You are excluded from this requirement if you are a child, pregnant, refugee/asylee, Cuban/Haitian entrant, or a victim of trafficking. Amerasians, Iraqi, and Afghan special immigrants, and aliens whose deportations are being withheld, are also excluded from meeting the five-year residency requirement.
Latest from the blog
Connecticut’s population is becoming increasingly diverse. In fact, the number of Connecticut residents who identify as a person of color increased to 36.8% in 2020. It was previously 28.8% in 2010, according to the 2010 U.S. Census. Despite the increase in diversity,...
Did you receive a Form 1095-A from Access Health CT (AHCT)? It’s an important form that the primary tax filer in your household will need to file your household’s federal income tax return. If you or anyone in your household were enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan...
Plan Options for You & Your Family Choosing a health insurance plan can be complex. From Bronze, Gold and Silver level options to the different insurance companies and provider networks — there are many things to think about. That’s why it’s so important to make...
What’s the difference between Enrollment Fairs and Enrollment Locations? And how do they compare with Navigators? Learn about all the different ways you can get in-person help with your application, verifying documents, and speaking with a Certified Broker about...