Tax Information for 2022 Coverage
If you or anyone in your household enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Access Health CT in 2022, you will be getting a form in the mail by the first week of February 2023 called Form 1095-A with information about your insurance coverage. You will receive a 1095A form even if you did not receive financial help (premium tax credit).
See below to download our Frequently Asked Questions and a sample of Form 1095-A.
Note: If you enrolled in a Catastrophic health plan in 2022, you will not receive Form 1095-A. Form 1095-A is only sent to individuals who bought qualified health plans through Access Health CT at the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels.
Know the forms you will be receiving:
You will receive a Form 1095-A if you had qualified coverage through Access Health CT. If someone in your household had HUSKY (Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)) coverage in 2022, they can request a form called a Form 1095-B from the Connecticut Department of Social Services. You should expect a Form 1095-C if you had coverage through your employer or through Medicare. If you have questions, please contact your employer or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
NOTE: The IRS Form 1095-B is NO LONGER REQUIRED by federal law when preparing federal tax returns and it will not be mailed out this year automatically. However, DSS is required to make IRS Form 1095-B available upon request and consumers who need a copy of the form can request it in one of the following ways:
- Online: portal.ct.gov/ctdss1095B
- By Phone: HUSKY Health 1095-B Information Center, 1-844-503-6871 (Mon – Fri, 8 – 5),
- Mail a request to: The HUSKY Health 1095-B Information Center, P.O. Box 280747, East Hartford, CT 06128-0747
Next steps after you receive Form 1095-A:
- Check the information on your Form 1095-A. Make sure the information is up to date for everyone covered under your plan. That includes your name, home address, health plan information, and premium tax credit amounts (if applicable). If any of the information on Form 1095-A is wrong, please call us at 1-855-396-2428 (If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
- To view your Form 1095-A online, sign in to your Access Health CT account. You may need to reset your password if it’s been a while since you logged in.
- If you are locked out of your online account or if you need to create one, you must call us at 1-855-396-2428 (If you are deaf or hearing impaired, you may use the TTY at 1-855-789-2428 or contact us with a relay operator).
- If you have questions about your Form 1095-A, or if you believe there is an error on your form, please call us right away.
Important things to keep in mind about filing your taxes:
If you received premium tax credit amounts (financial help) in 2022 and you do not file your tax return with IRS Form 8962 to reconcile your tax credit, you will not be able to receive the premium tax credit in future years until you file your 2022 tax return. If your filing or income information has changed since you applied for healthcare coverage, you may have to pay back some or all of the premium tax credit amounts (financial help) you received. 1095-A forms CANNOT be emailed or faxed. If you’ve misplaced your 1095- A form, please contact our call center for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do I need this information?
You need it to complete IRS Form 8962 as part of your 2022 federal income tax return, which the IRS uses to determine whether you received the correct amount of premium tax credit (financial help). 8962 forms can be downloaded at irs.gov, Please see a tax professional for help with completing Form 8962.
Form 1095-A shows:
- Who had qualified coverage in your household,
- Your household plan information and monthly payment (known as a premium), and
- The amount of money paid to your insurance company to help lower your monthly costs (known as Advanced payments of the Premium Tax Credit or APTCs).
2. I received financial help in 2022. Should I file taxes?
YES. You must file a federal tax return for 2022 – even if you usually don’t file or your income is below the level requiring you to file.
3. Could I pay a penalty?
- For Tax Year 2022, the penalty or fee for not having health insurance coverage is $0.
- For Tax Years 2018 and earlier, individuals without coverage during those years may be subject to a penalty.
4. Why does my monthly payment (known as premium) amount on my Form 1095-A NOT match the premium amount on the bill I receive from my insurance company every month?
- The premium amount in Column A of your Form 1095-A may show an amount different than what you paid all year because amounts in Column A show only the portion of your premium that covers Essential Health Benefits.
- Plans sold through the Exchange are required to cover Essential Health Benefits.
- Insurance companies may offer benefits in addition to the Essential Health Benefits, so the premium paid may be different than the amount listed in Column A to cover these additional benefits.
5. Where is my form?
- Log in to your Access Health CT account
- Click “Get My Tax Forms”
- Download / View your Form 1095-A
We’re here to help! If you can’t find your Form 1095-A in your account inbox, click on ‘Read My Messages’ and search for “1095”, or call 1-855-396-2428 (TTY 1-855-789-2428)
Don’t have an online account? Click HERE to get started.
6. Additional Resources
- Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan Rates – 2022
- Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan Rates – 2021
- Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan Rates – 2020
- Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan Rates – 2019
- Lowest Cost Bronze Plan Rates – 2022
- Lowest Cost Bronze Plan Rates – 2021
- Lowest Cost Bronze Plan Rates – 2020
- Lowest Cost Bronze Plan Rates – 2019
Latest from the blog
Preventive Care…what’s it all about?
Scheduling routine annual physical exams with your Primary Care Physician (PCP) is key to keeping up on your healthcare needs and detecting health problems before they become serious. When most people make their to-do list, it is filled with daily tasks, chores and...
Make the Most out of Your Investment in Health Insurance
Learn about your access to Essential Health Benefits that come at no additional cost to you Your family’s health begins with you. At Access Health CT, we want to help you live your healthiest life — and having healthcare coverage means you’re off to a great start. Did...
7 Things HUSKY Health Clients Should Know to Stay Covered
The Connecticut Department of Social Services will be evaluating Medicaid clients for eligibility starting March 2023 Before the pandemic, HUSKY Health (Connecticut’s Medicaid Program) clients had to meet eligibility requirements in order to keep their healthcare...
The Access Health CT Broker Academy Program
Become an insurance broker to improve the health and well being of your community while earning income for you and your familyTell me more about the program: Do you want to be more involved in your community while also creating a transformative career path? Then the...